Monday, August 19, 2013

Conspiracy Theories

I have a library clerk who is a Conspiracy Theorist Extraordinaire.  I am always so amused every time she talks to me because I am like, "WHERE do you come up with this stuff??"

The other day, we were leaving the library and I was walking with the clerks to get the elevator and she quips as we are walking out the door, "You know those new Samsung flat screen TVs?  Hackers can look out at you from them!  So think about that before you run around your house naked!"  Granted, that's not a professional conversation topic, so how do you respond to that when you just want to laugh out loud?  I smothered my chuckle and just said, "Interesting.  I don't think that will be a problem."  That way they know a.) I don't own a flat screen TV and b.) I don't run around the house naked.  I guess "Nudity is not an appropriate work-related conversation topic" but I always think of better things to say after the fact.  And it just makes me laugh so much, I don't want to discourage her creativity.  Plus, then I would not have such funny things to report to all you potential prison librarians out there.

Update:
Being a librarian, I decided to do some research into this conspiracy theory, and it turns out there is some information out there:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2117493/Samsungs-latest-TV-sets-built-cameras-spark-concerns.html

Apparently, it's not just hackers who will be watching your private display of nudity, but the entire staff of Samsung...

No comments:

Post a Comment